From the past many decades, canned food has made way for the invention of can openers. Due to this, they can be commonly found in all kitchens.
The variety of can openers available in the market is vast but there are many can openers who do not do their job effectively. However, by doing some research, you can find a device that is user friendly and durable.
There are two types of can openers available in the market namely electric and manual. The electric requires no effort to from your end if you wish to open the can whereas you need to operate the manual one to get it working. Once you have decided which opener to choose, you can then do an in-depth study of their features to know which one suits you the best.
We spent 48 hours in performing a research on different kinds of can openers. We checked them on various attributes including design and performance and rated them on basis of their cutting ability, features and affordability. After thoroughly testing these openers, we have picked the 10 Best Can Openers which will look best on your kitchen counters. Read our detailed review of these can openers to know which one suits you the best. These openers have been given excellent rating by Amazon customers.
Top 12 Best Can Openers Review
1. Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch 76606ZA – Best Feature Loaded Electric Can Opener
The Hamilton Beach Touch Can opener may be bigger in size when compared to its counterparts, but it is one of the best electric gadgets which opens the can with ease.
The appliance does not slice through lid of the can smoothly and forms neat edges which is a hygienic way of opening a can since it does not cut into the food. Most suitable to open cans which weigh up to 32 ounces, the best part of the Hamilton Beach Opener is its side- cutting feature which facilitates the easy opening of pop up cans and it also ensures that the lid does not fall into the food.
To operate the can opener, you can press down the level till you whole can has rotated around it. This kitchen accessory is 10 inches tall and the base is 5 inches square.
The product is receiving positive reviews from everywhere which makes Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch top our list of best can openers. This can opener has received very good ratings from various review sites as it comprises of the SureCut technology which will ensure that the can opens effectively in one try.
The device has a magnet that keeps the can in place to ensure a uniform cut. The cord of the opener is 25 inches long and the best part is that it can be stored within the unit. To use it completely, you will have to pull it out.
- Side Cutting Technology
- Huge Lever for Easy Cutting
- Attractive design that adds to the décor of the kitchen
- 1 Year Warranty Offered
- Affordable Pricing
- Hamilton Beach 76606Z does not come in contact with the food as blades might cause contamination.
- The can is cut cleanly without the presence of metal scraps
- Equipped to open cans of all sizes
- Hamilton Beach 76606Z also cuts cans with peel off lids.
- Safe to be used by people of all ages
- Few users have claimed that the can opener opens the cans a bit slowly.
- Electricity is required.
2. EZ-DUZ-IT Deluxe Can Opener – Durability at its Best
The next can opener we have reviewed is the EZ-DUZ-IT Deluxe Can Opener that is gear driven and is made of solid Chrome steel. The handles of this can opener are rubberized for a comfortable grip.
Measuring 7 ¼” in length, this manual can opener can be used to cans of all sizes. Made in USA, EZ-DUZ-IT Deluxe Can Opener utilizes a simple swing mechanism which allows maximum pressure thereby resulting in sharp and neat cuts.
Crafted using heavy duty steel, the gears of this can opening device are interlocked with its blades which does not require too much human force to open the can. Turning the knob lightly does the trick. Since it is made of sturdy steel, the can opener will not break when you are using it.
The EZ-DUZ-IT can opener is certainly bigger when compared to many other can openers available in the market. The size of the can opener gives the product good cutting power and makes it long lasting as well. If you are expecting some fancy features and modern design, then this is not the right can opener for you. It is a simple conventional can opener that can open cans of all sizes.
The EZ- DUZ-IT is the best tool for those who prefer functionality over a modern and fancy design. This can opener is made in USA and is great for those people who experience frequent power cuts. Unlike an electric can opener, this will work without electricity and will work on all cans with ease.
A downside of using the EZ-DUZ-IT is that it cuts into the can thereby leaving sharp edges that will have to be handled with care.
- Created using sturdy chromed steel
- Made in USA
- Has rubberized handles that offer a strong grip
- Sharp cutting blades made of Carbon Steel
- Comprises of Gears and cutting blades
- Easy to clean- can be washed with warm and light soapy water.
- Good quality material used
- Value for Money
- One of the best manual can openers
- Low maintenance and easy to clean
- A few buyers have complained of the edges being too sharp causing to cut too much sometimes.
- Can start rusting after a few months but the price does justice for the duration it lasts.
3. OXO Good Grips Opener – Smooth Can Opening Experience
The problem with most can openers is that their blades aren’t sharp enough to cut through the can properly and the lids drop into the food. Many openers are made of steel due to which they can rust. Their blades usually leave sharp and uneven edge which can cause cuts and sharp edges. The OXO can opener has been created to combat all these concerns as it is a smooth edge can opener.
The OXO Good Grips can opener is grip locking opener which opens the can smoothly. The design is completely black, and it has a stylish appearance which makes it go with all kitchens. For added safety and security, the inbuilt pliers of the can ensure that the lid is separated as soon as it is cut.
This feature is comfortable to use, and it is convenient for lifting lids due to which you will never have to touch the lid and dirty your hands with the food present in the can. This mechanism also reduces clean up time as nothing drips from the can.
OXO Good Grips can opener has also been rated by Wall Street Journal as a top grosser. Oxo also provides its buyers with a refund or replacement if it does not meet their expectations.
The company is well known for designing its equipment keeping the safety of the user in mind. The design of the Oxo Goo Grips Can opener has been created to make opening a can extremely easy. It allows you to place the opener on top of the can so that you can cut into the top of the lid. By doing so, you can cut through into the can and avoid sharp edges that causes cuts and bruises.
The best features of this kitchen accessory include a side wind mechanism which makes turning extremely easy and good quality handles that enable you to grip the product well. The cutting gear is made using stainless steel and it does not touch the food which ensures that there is no contamination. Easy to clean, it is dishwasher safe as well. This can opener is also best suited for picnic or camping trips.
- Side Wind mechanism for smooth cutting
- In Built Pliers to Lift the Lid from the Can without touching it.
- Non-slip handles for better grip and soft knob
- Does not leave any sharp edges behind
- Lid is lifted as soon as the can is cut
- Easy to clean and dishwasher safe
- Price is slightly steep for a manual opener when electronic options are available a very small difference.
4. Kuhn Rikon Auto Safety Master – Best Multipurpose Can Opener
Know how to operate this can opener by watching this video.
Kuhn Rikon Auto Safety Master Opener is a multipurpose can opener which is efficient at opening jars, bottles, pop up cans, peel off cans and cans. Available in three colours namely Black, Red and Green, the design of this opener is sleek and modern. This opener comprises of a side cutting technology which does not touch the device’s contents.
The can opener has two half circles which are placed on the can’s rim when you place it on top of the can. When you twist the knob located on the can opener, it will grab the lid and lift it. After the whole circle is complete, the push button can be pressed to lift the lid.
Make sure that you do not go over the lid again with this opener as it can generate metal scrapings. Rated as one of the best can openers in the market, Kuhn Rikon Auto Safety Master Opener has received many positive reviews on Amazon. People who have problems like arthritis, shaky hands and other injuries, have benefited greatly from this opener.
Factors like how smoothly it opens cans and the simplicity of the design makes this one of the best openers in the market.
- Can be used as a bottle and can opener
- Lid Can be removed without touching
- Dishwasher Safe
- Cutting wheel does not touch food
- Comes handy in performing various tasks such as opening jars, bottles and pull-tab cans
- Leaves edges smooth
- Push Button mechanism makes opening cans easy
- Can opener locks itself on the can and cuts from the side to leave the rim smooth
- Knob is hard to turn
5. P-38 Can Opener and P-51 Can Opener – Best for Outdoor Trips and Camping
If you are an adventure junkie, then the p-38 and p51 can openers are the best options for you. Originally crafted for soldiers, these can openers are the best for hiking, camping and fishing. These openers are light weight and is reportedly used by US Army. The p-38 is 38 millimetres long whereas the P-51 is 51 millimetres long.
Apart from opening cans, they can be used for other functions including cleaning grooves, screw drivers, cleaning finger nails, cutting things and opening seams. The design of this opener is extremely simplistic which makes this opener easy to use.
You can easily attach these can openers to keychains and carry them in your pockets. To open a can, direct the blade of the opener on the can and rotate with the other hand to cut uniformly. These set of can openers are often used commercially to open huge cans as well.
These openers have been titled as best survivalist can openers. Many users also use them as additional tools for cutting strings and light weight ropes. Another good thing about these openers is that it is rust proof, and which is one attribute that many other expensive openers do not have.
Overall, these can openers do not have too many fancy features and they leave sharp edges. However, due to their 75-year solid track record and durability, they are worth a try.
- Rust Proof/Rust Resistant
- Fits on Keychain
- Extremely light weight
- Being sold for 75 years
- Affordably Priced
- Fits in pocket with ease
- Long lasting, works for many years
- Leaves sharp edges sometimes
6. Made in USA Can Opener – Pocket Friendly Price
Budget friendly, Made in USA can opener is being sold since 1954. Created by the brand that produces EZ-Duz-It, it comprises of gears, skid resistant feed wheel and cutter which is coated with zinc. It is a conventional manual can opener which can be used by pressing the blade on top of the rim of the can and moving it till it completes one rotation. You can then tip the lid of using a knife as there are no magnets or pliers present in this can opener.
The handles of his opener come in 4 colours namely red, blue, white and black. The best thing about using a Made in USA Can Opener is that it can open cans of all sizes.
This model does not rust, and the best part is that the company claims that they can replace any openers which have defects irrespective of when they were purchased.
Made in USA Can Opener does not have any special features like lid lifting magnets or pliers, but the replacement guaranty makes up for the price. This can opener is easy to maintain, and you can clean it with warm water and soap or white vinegar.
As far as its performance is concerned, the can opener has received good ratings and users have reported that it glides smoothly through the lid.
- Comfortable Handle Pads
- Handles Made of 1008 Carbon Steel
- Zinc plated cutter and gears
- Best customer service provided
- Can be used for long
- Coated with zinc for better performance
- Results in jagged edges
7. Zyliss Lock and Lift Opener- User Friendly Manual Can Opener
Can openers are usually hard to use as you require a lot of force. The Zyliss manual can opener solves these concerns and makes opening cans extremely easy. This Manual can opener is shaped like a scissor which allows you to cut into the can in a up and down motion.
Due to this scissoring motion, you can cut the lid of the can thereby leaving an extremely smooth edge. Once you open the handles and place the opener on the can, you have an option of locking it so that it doesn’t shake when you are using it. The cutting blades are made of stainless steel which prevents rust from forming on it. The handles are soft and padded with rubber which gives comfort to the hand and makes it easier to grip.
The highlight of this can opener is that it has a magnet which grasps the lid. When you start opening the can, the magnet attaches with the lid. After you have cut off the lid completely, the magnet lifts it and separates it from the can. You can just shake it off into the trash bin to avoid the mess and unwanted cuts. You will never have to touch the food with your fingers or the can opener which makes it very hygienic.
The knob of the opener is made from plastic that is slip resistant due to which you can grip it well when you are turning it. The blade cuts through to the side of the can so that you can cute through without touching it. The best can opener is one which makes can opening experience as easy as a breeze for you.
- 5 Years Guarantee from Zyliss
- Comfortable to Hold due to Rubber Grip
- Stainless Steel Cutting Mechanism
- Automatic Lock so that can doesn’t move.
- Large handle that makes gripping easy
- Knob locks with ease
- Comprises of stainless steel blades which eliminates need for extra strength
- You do not have to touch the can due to the presence of magnet and lever
- Can be used to open cans of any size
- Budget friendly price according to the features
- With prolonged use, magnet becomes weak and does not pick the lid.
8. Good Cook Classic Safe Opener – Compact Yet Powerful
If you are looking for a can opener that brings convenience and portability, then your search ends with the Good Cook Classic Safe Opener. This opener is small and is easy to take along with you. It is a perfect amalgamation of design and functionality. The Good Cook Classic’s cutting wheel does not touch the food leaving no space for contamination.
You do not have to exert pressure on the handles as touching them gently will help you in cutting through the can. The design of this can opener is worth a mention as it does not have double handles like all other can openers. Good Cook Classic Safe Cut opener has a single body with handles and blades built into one location.
To use it, you can simply place the blade on the rim of the can and tilt it and twist the knob till the can is open. The Good Cook Classic Safe Cut opener has received rave reviews all over the web. Due to the price and service it offers, it is being ranked as one of the best-selling can openers in 2019.
The best thing about this can opener is that even though the size is compact, there is no compromise on its ability to open cans. Created using chrome, it is quite sturdy and can be used to cut through huge cans as well. It leaves the lid smooth without the presence of metal shavings. Even though it is big on performance, it is quite light weight and can be carried anywhere.
- 9 x 4 x 2 inches
- Cutting Wheel that does not touch food
- Built using Heavy duty chrome
- Lightweight and Compact
- Lasts for quite long
- Easy to Grip
- Leaves edges smooth after opening can
- If you are not lock properly sometimes it can be slip.
9. West Bend 77203 Electric Can Opener – Luxury Electric Can Opener with Sleek Body
Crafted using aluminum, chrome and plastic, West Bend 77203 is a multipurpose can opener which is capable of opening cans that are extremely tall. This stunning can opener has some very good features and is fully automatic which doesn’t require any additional support when it is working. You can also use it as a bottle opener and to sharpen knives as well which makes it value for money since at the price of one you get three appliances.
West comes in two colors namely black and metallic which makes the opener look nice on your kitchen top and add to your decor. This electric can opener has cutting tools which are dish washer safe as well.
Comprising of 70 watts of power, this kitchen accessory is user friendly and comes with a year of warranty. The West Bend Electric Can Opener is easy to store due to the cord storage and it does not acquire too much space on the kitchen top as it is extremely compact and slender. Maintenance of this opener is extremely easy as its parts can be detached and washed with ease.
- Countertop opener made of chrome, plastic and aluminium
- 70-watt power
- Tall design fits all types of cans
- Automatic shutoff
- Measurement 5 by 9 inches
- Comes with 1-year warranty
- Value for Money as it has 3 equipment in 1
- Can be purchased in two colors
- Cuts can in no time without much effort
- Slim body fits in smallest spaces.
- Easy to maintain as can be washed in dishwasher
- Comes with plastic lever which can break off anytime
- Can leave metal shavings at times.
10. Arespark Stainless Steel Opener – Ergonomic and Affordable
Arespark Stainless Steel Can Tin Opener is an affordably priced kitchen accessory. It is endowed with good features which is great considering what it is priced at.
Users have reviewed this product and it is said to be much better than the expensive can openers they have tried which gives the product a top grosser rating. This can opener has an impressive list of features. The cutting wheel of can opener is extremely sharp which allows you to open cans of all shapes including oval and round.
This state of the art opener is made from stainless steel and is compact and user friendly. The object is rust proof which will enable you to use it for years together. Like many modern can openers, the blades of this container will never touch the food. Overall, this can opener is ranked as Amazon’s Bestseller.
- Slim Design
- Ergonomic Handle and Knob
- Made of Premium Quality Steel
- Weighs 5.6 ounces
- Revolving sharp blade
- Mechanism opens cans like an electric opener
- Premium quality material used
- Long lasting
- Blades do not touch food thereby making it hygienic
- Can be cleaned with ease
- Not suitable for use for people who have hand injuries or arthritis as the handles need slight pressure
11. BLACK+DECKER Spacemaker Multi-Purpose Can Opener – Space Saving Can Opener
Black and Decker has made it to our list of best can openers as it saves substantial space in your kitchen. You can easily mount it on the wall to operate it. If you wish to open overtly large cans, then this can opener is the best for you.
Appearing to be a plastic black box, this opener can also be used as a knife sharpener, bag cutter, bottle opener and it comes with a flip open door that conceals it all. Containing a pierce cutter, this opener opens tough cans as well.
The best part about this cutter is that it leaves extremely smooth edges after cutting the can and opens cans in a few split seconds. The protectant covering of the cutter ensures that the parts are not exposed to air. This will prevent any moisture to seep into the device.
The equipment has a base which is spread evenly so that it remains stable and does not fall off from the table. Black and Decker Multipurpose Can Opener is easy to maintain as you can simply wipe it with a soft cloth. Made of stainless steel, the can opener comes with an automatic shut off feature which comes handy when you have your hands full and cannot manually turn off the equipment.
- Automatic shutoff
- Power pierce cutter
- Lifetime money back warranty
- Serrated cutting-edge wheel
- Cover prevents moisture and dust from seeping in
- Saves counter space in kitchen
- Easy installation
- Can be installed anywhere in the kitchen. Even behind cabinets.
- Shuts down automatically
- Tends to leave sharp edges at times
- Needs to be installed which can be viewed as a nuisance by some
- Can be noisy at times
- Blade is irreplaceable
12. Hamilton Beach 76380Z Classic Chrome – Best Budget Electric Can Opener
Hamilton Beach 76380Z Classic Chrome comes with a removable cutter that makes maintaining it easier. The classy black color and tall design makes this can opener extremely eye appealing and perfect for those who like to have contemporary looking equipment in their kitchen. It also comes with a few extra components including a knife sharpening unit and a cord storing place. Opening tall cans becomes as easy as a breeze with this can opener.
Once you have hooked the can in proper position, you do not have to touch it or press down any handle to cut the can. The can shuts down automatically after the can has opened so that you know when to remove the can.
Yet another masterpiece from Hamilton Beach, this can opener has a cutter that can be removed from the body and washed in the dishwasher. The material it is made from is special and it does not cause any rusting even after you have used it for many years. The dish washable feature of the can opener makes cleaning the device extremely convenient.
Hamilton Beach 76380Z Classic Chrome has been formulated using a Sure Cut technology which makes sure that the can is cut properly every time and there no jagged edges left in the can.
Due to its extra tall design, it works with an array of can sizes and shapes and does not tip off when you are using it. A few Arthritis foundations have rated this to be one of the best electric can opener for people who have arthritis.
- Requires no knob turning or holding of equipment
- Automatic shut off which comes to a halt after the cutting of can is complete
- Can also be used as a knife sharpener
- The cutter can be detached from the body of the can opener and be washed in washing machine.
- Cuts toughest of cans with ease
- Some cans can need support
- Magnet falls off when encounters too much water.
Here is the video depicting the proper way of opening a can opener.
Electric Can Are Essential Kitchen Accessories
Can openers are kitchen gadgets that may not be used every day, but they are certainly essential and useful in the kitchen. If you frequently consume sauce, soup, stock and other canned foods then choosing a good can opener is important.
Since even high end can openers cost less than 50 dollars, you can choose from a plethora of options available. A can opener makes things easy for people who suffer from weak wrists, hands or conditions like arthritis which can cause pain or soreness since it gets difficult for them to use peel off cans and other gadgets.
If you cook in large quantities or have injured your hands temporarily, opening a can with an opener will help save your hands from pain and strain.
What to look at while choosing the best can opener
- Material of Blades: Chrome and Stainless-steel blades are the best materials to buy when you are purchasing can openers.
- Non-Slip Rubber Grip.If you are choosing manual can openers, choose the ones that are slip proof or have rubber grips.
- Adequate size.Can openers must be the right size. If you are opting for an Electric Model, then they should be adequate in height to accommodate large cans as well. On the other hand, manual openers should be able to fit in drawers.
- Easy to Maintain- A few can openers are side cut which do not come in contact with the food. Due to this, food stays hygienic. Electric can openers which are top cut should have removable blades so that they can be cleaned with ease. Can openers should be dishwasher safe as well.
- Durable and Sturdy. Can openers should not be light since they can topple down with the weight of the can. In case of manual openers, if they are sturdy they can be used for years together.
- Flawless performance. Openers which take time to lock into the can shakes midway or has a knob that is difficult to turn should be avoided. Can openers which work smoothly and flawlessly should be bought.
- Pliers or magnets. When you are done cutting the lid, you want something that will lift off the lid for you so that you do not have to touch it and create a mess. In this case, openers that have magnets and pliers come handy.
- Price- Price is another important factor that needs to be considered while choosing a can opener. Different can openers have different features therefore; their prices need to be compared to know if they are offering value for money.
Different Types of Can Openers
Apart from the two simple sub categories namely Electric and Manual, can openers have many other types based on functionality and performance. To help you choose the best we have made a list of the same below: –
- Countertop openers: This is an electric can opener type and as the name suggests, it is placed like a separate appliance on the kitchen counter. To operate this, you can simply place the can in position and press down the lever or button to open the can
- Side-cutting can openers: Can openers can also be categorized according to the position it cuts the can at. In this category of openers, the can is cut sideways below the top part of the can. Look for this technology in an opener while purchasing one as it leaves edges smoother and eliminates chances of getting hurt.
- Top cutting can openers: Top cutting openers cuts through lids of cans from the topmost area of the can. This opener type can be slightly messy which is why you should ensure that the opener has a lid removal feature.
Here is the video illustrating the use of can opener much useful for new users.
- 10 Best Synthetic Motor Oils 2019
- 12 Best Floor Fans review
- Best Car Wax Review for Black & White Cars
While all the above-mentioned openers are best in their own way, our pick in the manual and electronic can opener category are the Hamilton Beach 76606Z and OXO Good Grips Smooth Edge Opener. Both these openers give you value for money and have been rated as the best can openers recently.