Most people hate cables mainly because of their unpredictable price. The best outdoor TV antenna can mitigate this problem. Today, we are bringing you the best outdoor TV antenna for rural areas to aid you select the right equipment for your TV. Before looking at the things we are going to cover in this review guide, we would like to tell you the metrics with which we’ve selected these brands.
- Signal coverage range.
- Advantages of having a particular brand.
- Reception capability.
- Included accessories with the antenna.
These are the essential things you must keep in mind when purchasing a TV antenna for your home. With that being said, shall we get into the review?
|Five Star Outdoor HDTV Antenna||Check Price|
|RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna||Check Price|
|8 Element Bowtie Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna||Check Price|
|Channel Master CM-5020 Directional Outdoor TV Antenna||Check Price|
|ClearStream 4 Outdoor HDTV Antenna||Check Price|
|Channel Master CM-4228HD High VHF, UHF, and HDTV Antenna||Check Price|
|ClearStream 2V HDTV Antenna with Mount||Check Price|
|1byone Omni-directional Amplified Outdoor Antenna||Check Price|
|BOOSTWAVES Outdoor Remote Controlled HDTV Antenna||Check Price|
|Mediasonic HOMEWORX HDTV Outdoor Antenna||Check Price|
|1byone Digital Amplified Outdoor HDTV Antenna||Check Price|
The Best 11 Outdoor TV Antennas for Rural Areas
1. Five Star Outdoor HDTV Antenna [Newest 2023]
If you are looking for a long-range HDTV Antenna, this Five Star Outdoor HDTV Antenna is the best choice from the popular brand. They keep upgrading their product every year according to the customer’s needs. This Five-star Antenna is a multidirectional outdoor TV antenna, which has high resolution that is 1080p, 1080i HD, and 4K clarity that works well with both VHF and UHF signals.
You can also enjoy the nearby Air Stations in HD for free. Eventually, Enjoy the top-rated shows by using this Five Star Antenna. The extended-length antenna helps to receive the signals without any interrupts. By using the channel scan option, you can get the missed channel from your list.
The 4-way splitter is used to connect 4 TV’s along with one Antenna. Hence, this antenna is bigger than other brands, hence, you can get uninterrupted high quality services.
When compared to satellites and cable, you can save lots of money by using five star Antenna. Its construction is long-lasting and suitable for all weather conditions. For better results, you can place the antennas in higher places to get uninterrupted services.
Inside the box, there will be Antenna, J-Pole, TV splitter, and mounting bracket. This Five Star Outdoor HDTV Antenna is recommended, for one who is looking for high-quality uninterrupted services for a longer range.
- Long-range antenna up to 200 miles.
- Lightening protection.
- 360-degree rotation for better results.
- Have to improve the mounting hardware.
2. RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna:
If you want a TV antenna that picks up signals from a long-range, you need to have a look at the RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna. This TV antenna picks up signals up to 60 miles from the broadcast tower, which is an amazing feature of this brand than its competitors.
With this feature, we can safely say that this TV antenna is one of the best outdoor antennas ever. Built for durability, this TV antenna survives all bad weather conditions without compromising its performance. Also, its fold-out design and included mast and mounting hardware provide a high degree of flexibility when it comes to installation.
The RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna leverages a cross-phase, multi-element design for superior HD reception, which translates into more channels.
PBS, NBC, FOX, and CBS. You don’t have to subscribe to a cable or satellite again after installing this TV antenna in your home.
- Pre-assembled design; snap-lock elements and easy-lock fold-out reflector.
- Supports 1080i HD signal format.
- Range of 60 miles; VHF/UHF reception.
- Cross-phase, multi-element design for top-notch reception.
- 1 year warranty period.
- Built with high quality materials.
- Mounting hardware included.
- The antenna is a bit pricier than other brands.
See also: Will Antennas Work on Old TVs?
3. 8 Element Bowtie Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna:
Bowtie Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna is considered to be the most powerful outdoor TV antenna for rural areas available on the market. It is capable of picking up HDTV signals up to 70 miles. This makes receiving UHF signals a breeze. It is one of the easiest antennas to mount if you follow the instructions manual provided with your TV antenna correctly.
We highly recommend you to install this antenna outdoors to achieve maximum reception. This antenna is a perfect choice for you if you happen to live in urban areas where you are surrounded by tall trees. Its multi-purpose arrangement provides flexibility and easy installation in areas with transmission towers in different directions.
Antenna boosters get rid of any interference when it comes to signal reception. This antenna also comes included with 2 coaxial cables with a 28” length for connecting panels of the antenna.
- The 8-Element Bowtie is designed for picking up TV signal range up to 70 miles.
- Flexible bracket design- Receives signals from towers in different directions.
- Easy to install; Compact in size.
- The reflector avoids any sort of multipath signal interference.
- Lifetime warranty on parts.
- You should include an amplifier if you are living in a hill station, or you are surrounded by trees.
4. Channel Master CM-5020 Directional Outdoor TV Antenna
Channel Master is one of the popular brands and one of the top industries which gives air entertainment products to the market. This high quality Outdoor Antenna will opt to receive the high definition digital signals in a unidirectional way, hence it is referred to as a “Yagi-Uda” antenna. And also this Antenna receives signals from long-range ranges from 100 miles without any interruption.
This unidirectional antenna is likely suitable for rural areas. It has strong construction which stands well for all weather conditions. The high resolution unidirectional outdoor antenna works well in both UHF and VHF signals. Ranges may vary from signal to signal, hence, 100 miles for VHF and 60 miles for UHF signal.
You can enjoy both digital TV and HDTV programs. You can also enjoy the FM which ranges from 54 to 216 MHz and 470 to 700 MHz. You can get uninterrupted services by using this outdoor antenna even with weak signal strength.
You can experience uninterrupted services even in hills station with trees. To get more channels, try out the 7777 preamplifiers. You can install them in your outdoor areas like roofs, masts, eaves, and chimneys.
Inside the box, there will be Antenna, Mounting hardware, weather boot, Installation instructions, and warning instructions. This Channel Master CM 5020 Directional antenna is highly recommended for rural areas to experience uninterrupted services.
- Well-constructed antenna.
- High-performance f-type PCB Balun.
- Suitable for both VHF and UHF signals.
- Quality finished edges.
- Installation is a bit difficult.
5. ClearStream 4 Outdoor HDTV Antenna:
ClearStream 4 Outdoor HDTV Antenna will receive all UHF signals from broadcast towers up to 70 miles distance. Its patented design provides the highest quality of reception and stable range, under the harshest weather conditions and even in the areas surrounded by the tallest trees. This antenna comes with full mounting hardware.
It is multi-directional and receives full HD 1080p broadcasts and is UHD 4K ready. The ClearStream Outdoor HDTV antenna has a wide beam angle that does not demand any sort of rotation for better reception. With this antenna, you can watch HD channels broadcasted by your local station and is designed to pick up the major TV networks.
That means you don’t have to subscribe to any cable or satellite again. The ClearStream 4 Outdoor Antenna has been backed by an industry-leading Lifetime Warranty period on all parts.
- Unique Quad-Loop design picks up UHF channels from 70 miles of signal range.
- This has a wide Beam angle of the antenna. So, does not need rotation.
- The patented design offers great reception without signal interference.
- Has a direct Lifetime Warranty on parts.
- Mounting hardware is included for easy installation.
- Multi-directional elements for top-notch reception.
- Average customer support.
6. Channel Master CM-4228HD High VHF, UHF, and HDTV Antenna:
This is the top most antenna brand that had been reviewed in almost all reputable websites you visit. Its classical design and 8 Bowtie arrangement allow you to receive signals over 70+ miles of range.
This HDTV antenna mainly targets the main DTV frequencies. This helps the antenna receive free over-the-air digital and HD channels without having to pay any type of subscription fee to anybody. It is a perfect choice for those who live in rural and suburban areas as it can operate effortlessly in forested surroundings.
The product includes durable U-bolts, Clamps for mounting, and hardware for quick installation. With a high signal pick-up range, you don’t have your favorite shows even if you have already unsubscribed from cable and satellite TV.
- 70+ miles of signal coverage.
- Has a classic and convenient 8 Bowtie designed antenna.
- Combines the latest Antenna Technology with compact design and high performance.
- High-quality sound and crystal-clear pictures are provided.
- Exceptional Lifetime Warranty on parts.
- Easy installation with all the kit included.
- It lacks credibility because this TV antenna ad states that it can cover up to 80 miles of signal range, which is unimaginable.
7. ClearStream 2V HDTV Antenna with Mount:
The ClearStream Antenna is a great choice when it comes to indoor and outdoor installation. Although the signal pick-up range is limited to 60 miles, it can still pick up HD channels from your local broadcasters. Also, this compact antenna outperforms many of its competitors. Since it picks up both VHF and UHF signals, you can receive many local channels without an issue.
ClearStream’s patented design gives you excellent signal strength and automatically cancels out any interference that could hamper your viewing experience. While it’s not technically an omnidirectional antenna, you will find the beam ClearStream antennas to be quite large, which means you will have more success picking up broadcast signals from different directions.
- 60-mile signal pick-up range.
- Receives both UHF and VHF signals.
- Comes with mounting hardware.
- Supports 1080p HD video.
- The patented loop design gives exceptional reception with minimum interference.
- The design looks basic.
8. 1byone Omni-directional Amplified Outdoor Antenna:
This is one of the good-looking and best-performing omnidirectional antennas on the market. Unlike most of directional antennas, the 1byone Outdoor HDTV Antenna does not need to be directed to any one location. It has a 360 degree beam pattern.
This antenna is capable of receiving broadcasts from all different directions. No need for motorized rotors to tune in your stations.
1byone Outdoor HDTV Antenna has an anti-UV coating for better durability and resistance against the sun, which makes an ideal choice for your RV rooftops as well. The detachable High gain Low-Noise Amplifier integrated in this antenna provides high-quality and strong signals to your television. This antenna comes complete with 20ft. of coax which makes installation really easy and has a lower total cost of ownership.
- 360 degrees reception due to the Omnidirectional design of the antenna.
- Receives FM radio/VHF/UHF signals from 60 miles of signal range.
- No tool is required for assembly, easy to install.
- Very stylish, nice-looking design.
- Anti-UV coating of the antenna protects the surface from the sun.
- Detachable high gain Amplifier included.
- When you set it up on the attic, this antenna’s picture quality is relatively down.
9. BOOSTWAVES Outdoor Remote Controlled HDTV Antenna:
BoostWaves Outdoor Amplified HDTV Antenna uses robust materials and is well constructed to withstand even the harshest of weather conditions. It comes equipped with a rotor builtin that provides a full 360 degrees of rotation. You should have no trouble dialing in channels with this antenna.
It can receive HDTV via UHF and VHF broadcasts and also contains FM radio reception. This antenna comes equipped with an installation kit that includes 50ft. of RG6 coaxial cable, 20 cable clips and 20 ties. Installation and assembly is made easy with this kit. Built-in Gain Boost and the Low-Noise Amplifier provide full 1080p HDTV signals with its superior amplification. The antenna is foldable, which is useful for maximum portability.
- Durable ABS material construction and water-proof design.
- Builtin rotor, controller, and Infrared remote control.
- Full 360 degrees rotation of the antenna.
- Up to 125 miles of signal coverage.
- Easy and quick to install.
- There seems to be a loose connection where the coax hooks up to the antenna.
10. Mediasonic HOMEWORX HDTV Outdoor Antenna:
Mediasonic HOMEWORX HDTV Outdoor Antenna is durable and very capable of receiving HDTV signals for rural areas. If you want good value for your money, then you have to look at the Mediasonic HOMEWORX HDTV Outdoor Antenna.
It is able to withstand the harshest of weather conditions. It is made of excellent material. You can be sure that it will work in urban and suburban surroundings. It can pick up signal range up to 80 miles. This antenna is compact and it is easy to assemble and set up. It supports both UHF and VHF frequencies.
- Compact and Powerful Reception.
- Receives VHF and UHF HD Channels.
- Advance Signal Reception Technology.
- Weather Resistance and Superior Quality.
- Easy Installation.
- This antenna doesn’t seem to be picking up the VHF signals as advertised.
11. 1byone Digital Amplified Outdoor HDTV Antenna:
The 1Byone Outdoor HDTV Antenna is considered to be a high-performance & best outdoor tv antenna for rural areas from 1Byone. It can receive signals up to 80 miles. You can install it in an attic, outdoors, or on a rooftop. You can receive VHF and UHF band signals using this antenna.
Installation is a breeze with the provided mounting hardware and pole. Just connect it to your TV or OTA tuner box using the provided coax cable to get up and running. Once you’ve completed the required connections, perform a channel scan and you should be picking up all local broadcasts.
The 1Byone Outdoor HDTV Antenna with its optimized power box and compact design helps you to easily deliver 720p, 1080i, and 1080p digital reception and boasts a cross-phase design with multiple elements for superior performance even when exposed to the harshest of weather conditions.
- 80 miles of signal coverage range.
- Offers full HD (1080p), ultra HD (4K) and 3D channels support.
- Easily picks up UHF channels (470-862MHz).
- Cross-phase design with multiple elements withstands bad weather conditions.
- 1 year of Manufacturer’s warranty, 30 days money-back guarantee.
- Compact in size and good value for money.
- This antenna is delicate and it is easy to bend if you are not careful.
Buyers guide questions:
1. What is OTA television and how does it work?
Over-the-air television OTA is a term used to describe the television signals broadcasted by your local broadcast towers. It IS DIFFERENT from a cable or a satellite signal. These signals are being broadcasted using digital signals as opposed to analog signals. Currently, there are three ways you can pick up your local TV channels.
- PURCHASING AN OTA digital receiver.
- Having an HDTV with a built-in digital tuner.
- HAVING AN HD satellite tuner.
2. How do I scan for channels?
Scanning for channels is important when it comes to TV antennas. Each TV set is different, so you have to consult the instructions manual provided with your TV set. This is applicable to convert boxes as well. If you are no longer having the user manual of your TV set/convert box, find the model number which can be located at the back of your TV set/convert box, and type into Google along with the words channel scan. You can find related information specific to your devices in this way. Remember, if you change the direction of your antenna, or you move your antenna to a different place, the first thing you should do is scan for channels!
- Using the remote control for your device, find the Home or Settings menu. (Note: Make sure the tuner is set to “Antenna” or “Air”, not “Cable”.)
- The Channel Scan tool may be found under “Channels”, “Tuner”, or something similar.
- Select “Auto Scan”, “Channel Scan”, “Digital Channel Search”, or something similar.
You’re done! Your device will search for all available digital OTA channels in just a few minutes, and you’ll be watching high-definition TV. You don’t have to pay a thing after that!
3. Can I really receive high-definition channels for free using a TV antenna?
Yes! You can experience HDTV with this TV antenna. You will also experience the highest quality picture that is available. Over-the-air broadcasts are transmitted in uncompressed, crystal-clear 1080i and many local broadcasts are digitally aired in Dolby 5.1 surround sound giving you the ultimate experience. All you need is a TV antenna!
4. How do I locate the broadcast towers to aim my TV antenna?
There are many apps available that can assist you in pointing your antenna to the right direction. Simply download their app to your mobile phone or to your tablet and put in your zip code. You will find a map with your local broadcast towers, a list of your local channels, and the radius of coverage from your area.
5. Can I watch TV on my smartphone or tablet?
Yes! It is possible that you can watch, record, pause, and rewind live broadcasts of your favorite TV shows wherever your wifi network reaches.
6. How do I know what channels are available in my area?
- If you have a channel locater app, go to the channel transmitter locater page.
- Enter your zip code.
- You will get a list of channels available in your area.
- Distance between your home and the transmitter which broadcasts the channel.
- Whether the channel is uhf or vhf.
- Precise direction to aim your antenna.
7. Are all Digital Channels on UHF?
No. Not all channels are on UHF. While many DTV stations occupy UHF broadcast channels, there are some stations that provide vhf broadcast channels as well.
8. My TV channels display as 2.1, 5.1, 7.1, etc. So I need a VHF antenna, right?
A TV channel such as 2.1, 4.1, and 5.1 will be displayed on your TV, but that doesn’t mean it is a VHF frequency.
- Select the TV channel locater and enter your home address.
- The actual broadcast frequency channel will be shown to you.
9. What is the difference between UHF and VHF antennas?
The obvious difference between VHF and UHF antennas is the size. A half-wave dipole for channel 2 will be 10 times longer than for channel 28. This means that a much more elaborate UHF antenna can be constructed without the antenna becoming physically unmanageable. With more elements added to the UHF antenna, higher gain and directivity can be obtained.
10. How does the material of my home affect an antenna’s reception?
When using a TV antenna, building materials such as brick, metal siding, and radiant barriers can greatly affect your incoming signals. So, make sure that you elevate your antenna as high as possible, or place it near a window or wall facing the broadcast towers. As we have stated earlier, Remember to rescan for channels on your TV every time you move your antenna.
11. Why should I face the front of my multi-directional antenna toward the broadcast towers?
While most antennas are multi-directional and receive signals from various directions, aiming the front of your antenna towards the largest cluster of towers is a critical step in receiving the most TV channels available in your area, and this is true for all TV antennas.
12. My local towers are not within line-of-sight, what do I do?
The line of sight plays a big part here. A straight line between your antenna and your broadcast tower is key to achieving a high volume of channel reception. To maximize signal coverage, you need to have an unobstructed path in which the signal could travel uninterrupted. mount your antenna as high as possible from the ground.
13. What is a Bowtie Antenna?
A bowtie antenna is another name for a UHF fan dipole TV antenna. By using the triangle elements instead of rod elements, the bandwidth is greatly increased to cover up the entire UHF band. The mesh reflector of the bowtie is more efficient than the rod reflector. Also, these types of antennas are generally lighter in weight.
14. What is a Yagi?
The Yagi antenna is credited to Hidetsugu Yagi from Japan. This antenna is designed to improve the concentrated single-direction signal coverage. The directivity is achieved by adding the elements namely directors and reflectors. In simple unidirectional antennas like the Yagi, frequency bandwidth is inversely proportional to the antenna’s signal coverage gain.
15. Do I need to use an amplifier with my TV antenna?
In some areas, the signal strength is not an issue and you don’t need an amplifier. But in most areas, the scenario would be the other way around, especially in rural and urban setups. Therefore, you need an amplifier to get a high-frequency reception and great picture quality. First of all, connect your TV antenna to your TV set/converter box and check how much frequency you are getting. Based on that, you can decide whether you need an amplifier or not.
16. Can I install an antenna in the attic?
For various reasons, you want to install your TV antenna in your attic. But many times, installing your TV antenna in your attic can be the biggest downfall when it comes to signal strength. If you have metal or aluminum-backed insulation in the walls or under the roof, the signal will most likely be blocked. You’ll have to remove the insulation or install the antenna in a different place. Also, you have to ensure that your antenna is pointing toward your local broadcast towers.
17. Why is it better to install my antenna outdoors or in an attic?
In order to get the maximum performance, you need to install your TV antenna to the highest point available to you and with a clear line of sight to the broadcast towers. This minimizes the obstruction between the TV antenna and the broadcast towers it receives signals from. Outdoor TV antennas are traditionally mounted on a rooftop and have a distinct advantage over indoor and attic antennas.
18. What does “4K Ready” mean?
Also known as “Ultra HD TV antenna, 4K is the image resolution 3840 x 2160 pixels on your television screen, allowing for clearer pictures. With this screen resolution, you will see much HIGHER quality pictures than you have ever imagined with the SD and HD video quality.
Final points to remember:
In our conclusion, we recommend Five Star Outdoor HDTV Antenna for rural areas. We have given you all that we know about the best outdoor TV antennas. Although you know what to look for in a TV antenna, you need to conduct thorough research before giving your money and purchasing one for your home. So, we wish that you get the most out of this review guide, pick up as many channels as you can get, watch them to your heart’s content, and have a great time with your family!
Frequently asked questions:
What are outdoor T.V. antennas?
Ans. Outdoor T.V. antennas are antennas that receive radio signals from satellites or Earth-based transmitters. Outdoor transmitters receive better signal because they are in direct sight of the transmitters and satellite without interference from any walls, objects or electronic devices.
Can I receive high-definition channels using an outdoor T.V. antenna?
Ans. Absolutely yes! With a T.V. antenna, you will be able to watch content and channels of the highest quality in HD quality with the best sound as well. It provides the best quality picture and sound, much better when compared to your local cable TV.
Is it safe to use an outdoor T.V. antenna?
Ans. Yes, it is safe to use an outdoor T.V. antenna. You will face no problems using a T.V. antenna which will be placed at a safe distance on your terrace or any safe spot out of reach of children.
Will the material of my home affect the antenna’s reception?
Ans. If you use an indoor antenna then its reception will be greatly reduced by walls, furniture, bricks, electronic devices, etc. Whereas the outdoor T.V. antenna will never be affected by any material of your house.
Will the reception be affected by bad weather?
Ans. We engineer our outdoor T.V. antennas in a way that it can endure any type of bad weather. Even if its raining heavily, you will be able to enjoy HDTV at your home. The weather can only cause some trouble when there is a Storm. Otherwise, you can enjoy the best picture and sound quality in any harsh weather conditions.
How is the reception in distant areas? Will I get disturbed and fuzzy picture quality?
Ans. You will get good reception even in distant or fringe areas. Once the antenna acquires and sets the signal then for sure you will get the best picture and sound quality. All channels will be available! If there are many buildings in your area, then we will make sure to install the T.V. antenna in a spot where it receives the best signal. Distance sometimes has a major impact on the reception of signals when the towers are far away. If the towers are more than 70 miles away, then it will definitely affect the reception of the signal.
What to do if the local towers are not within the line of sight?
Ans. The most important thing is to allow the signal to reach the T.V. antenna from the tower, without any obstacles. You will have to elevate your T.V. antenna and install it in a spot where it is not aimed at any object or material such as a roof, building walls, or any trees. You also have to decide the type of outdoor T.V. antenna that you will install in your home according to your situation.