You love your clothes. You want to wear them in a perfect shape, every time! You don’t want to pay hefty dry cleaning bill. You want to buy an affordable and high-quality steam iron. That’s the ultimate reason why we’ve compiled the 11 best steam irons in 2020. Whenever you decide to buy one for yourself, you should keep these things in mind.
- Steam irons help you a lot in removing unwanted wrinkles in your clothes, making it fresh and new. This will obviously gives you confidence to wear them where ever you go.
- Generally, ironing capacity depends on the features of a steam iron.
- The Best Steam Irons in 2020 are able to provide value within an affordable price range.
- Every steam iron should be well balanced and equipped with worthy features.
- Things like a high capacity water tank, and a long cord will make the ironing process much easier.
- Good steam irons should have self-cleaning feature which will make the cleaning process a breeze
Now that you know the things that you need to look for in a steam iron, here’s what you can expect from this guide.
- A detailed and honest review of each product.
- Their pros and cons.
- Buyers guide.
- Summary of the post.
Here we go!
Best steam irons: A detailed review
1. Rowenta DW5080 Focus 1700 Watt Micro Steam Iron Stainless Steel Soleplate with Auto Off, 400 Hole, Brown
Rowenta hardly needs an introduction when it comes to linen care. These German-engineered Best Steam Irons in 2020 claim to deliver “perfect ironing results” through “power, performance and precision”. And going by their popularity, it is hard to contest that claim. There are various models that cater to the different needs of output and budget.
The Rowenta DW5080 Focus falls right in the middle of their vast range of affordable steam irons. It provides a professional look and contains many excellent features for its superior quality. Powerful enough at 1700 watts, you can expect this thing to heat up in a minute or less. It has 400 steam holes which facilitates for powerful steam output. The water tank holds 2.5 ounces of water which is fairly useful for continuous ironing.
- Has a self-cleaning feature.
- Heats up less than a minute.
- Auto shutdown feature makes it super safe.
- Water tank capacity is 2.5 ounces.
- It doesn’t have the anti-calcium system, and it won’t prevent calcium buildup.
2. Steamfast SF 717 Home and Away Mini Steam Iron
The Steamfast SF 717 is an excellent proof that ironing equipments doesn’t have to be big, heavy, or pricey. This is a mini steam iron which is very helpful when you want to travel with it. Although its size is very small comparing to other irons, it does a pretty efficient job of removing stubborn wrinkles from your clothes really fast. The advantage of smaller steam irons is that it has a smaller water tank, and it will heat up so quickly than the other bigger ironing equipments. It is also lighter in weight and 420 watts is pretty powerful for a portable iron.
- Travel-friendly steam iron that doesn’t disappoint you in quality performance.
- Heats up in a few seconds.
- The soleplate is non-sticky, and it glides smoothly on your clothes.
- You can set various temperature.
- The water tank capacity is much smaller compared to regular size irons, so steam won’t last long.
- It doesn’t have an auto shutdown system, which is a drawback with respect to safety.
3. Panasonic NI L70SR Cordless Iron, Curved Stainless Steel Soleplate, White/Clear Green
The Panasonic NI L70SR is equipped with a cordless feature. It comes with a charging base that has an automatic retractable cord affixed to it. All you have to do is place the iron on the base and wait until it gets heated. Then you detach it from the base and use until the iron cools down. Repeat the process over until you complete ironing.
At 1600 watts, it is as powerful as any other steam iron with continuous electric source. The heat and steam settings are adjustable and there is also a cool spray mist option. The soleplate is a curved stainless steel design with circular indentations that are there to trap air between the soleplate and the fabric for smoother glide. Stainless steel soleplates are better than Teflon coated ones. Because, they don’t leave residue from the Teflon on the fabric after u iron. The water tank can be detached from the main equipment.
- The reheating time is much faster in cordless steam irons.
- It has an auto shutdown feature.
- Built with good quality material.
- Adjustable heat and steam settings.
- All major features like steam burst, vertical steam, self-cleaning and anti-calcium is included.
- Detachable water tank.
- Although the cordless steam irons stay heated for up to 3 minutes, it is not enough for particularly stubborn wrinkles on your clothes and needs multiple glides.
4. Rowenta DW8080 Pro Master 1700 Watt Micro Steam Iron Stainless Steel Soleplate with Auto Off, 400 Hole, Blue
This iron is an upgraded version of the Rowenta DW5080 Focus steam iron. Its features are absolutely perfect for professional level ironing. The steam capacity is powerful by virtue of its 1700 watt power, so it takes away even the stubborn wrinkles in your clothes at the first attempt. What make it superior in quality are its features. The German-made Rowenta DW8080 Pro Master doesn’t sputter or drip while you are ironing, comparing to its previous models.
As an upgraded version of the previous Rowenta model, this has a higher water tank capacity that holds up to more than 5.8 ounces of water, and an even more powerful steam burst capacity. You’ll need only the medium iron setting for the most difficult of wrinkles on linen and cotton, Or you could use the high iron setting if you’re in a rush and need to get ironing done in a short amount of time.
- Built with superior quality material, scratch resistant, and a polished stainless steel soleplate with full metal shield.
- This model is high-quality with its anti-drip mechanism which can’t be attributed to any other products.
- Powerful steam capacity and the ability to heat really fast produces much quicker results.
- 7 foot long cord with 360 degree pivoting ability helps you iron conveniently.
- Heat distribution is even.
- The model is heavier in weight.
- The design is too basic.
5. Sunbeam Hot 2 Trot 800 Watt Compact Non Stick Soleplate Travel Iron, GCSBTR 100 000
If you need a product that is valuable and doesn’t make a big hole in your wallet, then you need to consider purchasing the Sunbeam Hot 2 Trot 800 Watts Compact Non Stick Soleplate Travel Iron. This inexpensive steam iron makes it to the list of best steam irons solely because it meets all the basic requirements of a Best Steam Irons in 2020 available in the market at such an affordable price. The outer appearance of this equipment is really good. At 7.9 x 3.6 x 4 inches of dimension, it is the right size of a mini steam iron that fits perfectly in your home.
It has a non-stick soleplate which is as good as the high end scratch resistant soleplates. The power is 800 watts and produces a good amount of steam to serve the purpose of a regular steam iron. It has a light indicator as well to check out the ironing condition.
- It is inexpensive enough to buy when there’s an urgent need.
- It is a mini iron and therefore convenient to travel with.
- Gives you all basic steam ironing functions at a very low price.
- Easy to handle.
- Obviously lacks in performance.
- Steam capacity and spray strength are not very powerful.
6. Sunbeam Steam Master GCSBSP 201 FFP 1400 Watt Large Anti Drip Non Stick Stainless steel Soleplate Iron
Sunbeam is a reputable name in the steam irons sector. Their Steam Master model is a popular one amongst its users for various features.
The most important feature is a fairly large water tank that provides steam for a long time, lets you iron large pile of clothes. The other advantage of a large water tank is that it minimizes the risk of overfilling the tank, which in most cases is the cause of dripping while you are ironing. The iron is equipped with 1400 watts power.
The Sunbeam Steam Master also has an 8 foot long retractable cord.
- It is a reasonably priced regular size steam iron that lives up to its expectations.
- The water tank is quite large for a steam iron.
- Various temperature settings allow for safe ironing of finer and thicker fabrics.
- The retractable cord might be difficult to handle.
7. BLACK+DECKER Digital Advantage Professional Steam Iron, LCD Screen, Gray, D2030
Black + Decker is a trusted name among brands that deal with home appliances. They have been using their American manufacturing legacy to create everything from workshop and power tools to batteries to home appliances. Their Digital Advantage Best Steam Irons in 2020 is a step ahead from other steam irons. It has a digital LCD screen that displays the exact ironing temperature for each cloth type.
This function is especially essential in steam irons that have various temperature and steam control settings.
The BLACK+DECKER Digital Advantage Best Steam Irons in 2020 has a stainless steel soleplate, which is both durable as well as smooth enough to glide over fabrics. Its design is compact which makes it easier to carry around. This iron is a powerful steam iron at 1500 watts power. It also has a large water tank to support the steam function. The anti-drip mechanism too, is supported by the high capacity water tank which prevents overfilling and spilling on your clothes while you are ironing.
It has all the other necessary features like the self-cleaning and safe auto shut system; so all in all, this iron serves its purpose well and provides a great deal for its price.
- It has a digital LCD screen.
- Large water tank with marked levels for more efficient usage.
- All major functions like a stainless steel soleplate, various steam and temperature settings, steam burst and auto shutdown system are available at a reasonable price.
- The darker color makes it difficult to gauge the water levels in the reservoir.
- The heavier weight can be a problem if you want to work with a lighter iron.
8. T-fal FV4495 Ultraglide Easycord Steam Iron Ceramic Scratch Resistant Non Stick Soleplate with Auto Off and Anti Drip System
You may have been ironing for years, either as a professional or as a homemaker. You know that ceramic soleplate can glide easily on any fabric and produce great ironing results. The T-fal FV4495 Ultraglide is a great ironing equipment to have with an easy-glide soleplate. It is also scratch resistant which gives your steam iron a neat look.
The T-fal FV4495 Ultraglide Easycord Steam Irons boasts of 1725 watts power and greatly durable than its competitors. It also has some great features such as self-cleaning, 12 feet cord length, and a large water tank than all the steam iron brands. The anti-drip mechanism and a three way shutdown feature makes it a great buy for your home.
- 1725 watts powerful steam iron produces great ironing results for you.
- Well balanced and easy to iron.
- Durable and built with quality material.
- Ceramic soleplate that glides smoothly over any fabric.
- Extra-long cord that measures up to 12 feet.
- Dual self-cleaning system.
- The instructions manual is complicated to understand.
9. Shark GI505 Professional Steam Iron:
This model obviously has a charming look and a heavy sole plate. It also has a really good electronic selector for different fabrics. This iron is a high-power equipment that promises superior steam generation and professional ironing results. The stainless steel sole plate gives an excellent gliding on all types of fabrics. The following is the list of its great features.
- 1800 watts of power
- Large stainless steel sole plate
- Thermostat with LED indicator lights.
- Tapered button tip.
- One touch electronic fabric selector
- Large water tank.
- Anti-calc system
- Self-clean feature.
- Anti-drip system
- Auto power off.
If you want a high-quality steam iron that is affordable, look no further than this brand!
- 1800 watts. This allows it to heat up very quickly and efficiently remove creases.
- A large stainless steel soleplate that easily glides on all types of fabrics.
- Led indicator lights for easy monitoring.
- The self-clean and anti-calc feature allows for extended lifespan.
- This steam iron is relatively heavy.
- With continued use, the steam production reduces considerably.
10. BLACK+DECKER Classic Steam Iron, F67E
Most people are divided into two groups when it comes to ironing equipment. The first group prefers Rowenta and the second group prefers Black + Decker. For some people, it’s either of the two. The Classic Steam Iron is an ideal option for ironing, if you don’t want to mess with your clothes. The design of this steam iron is compact, making it easier for you to carry around.
The Black + Decker steam iron is definitely a more modernized version of the classic iron design, as it boasts all essential features that are required for a safe and hassle-free ironing experience. The soleplate is made of non-stick aluminum and it has an anti-drip mechanism. Auto shutdown feature is an added safety with this steam iron.
- It has a simple classic design.
- All essential functions included such as a non-stick soleplate, variable steam options, and automatic shutdown.
- Seven temperature settings are available that automatically changes the temperature based on the fabric type.
- It doesn’t come with the self-cleaning feature which is a serious drawback.
- This steam iron is heavier than its competitors.
11. Maytag M400 Speed Heat Iron:
Maytag is a trusted brand that’s been around since 1899. So it is no wonder that this steam iron model is one of the best that is currently available in the market. It can heat up less than a minute and regenerates steam efficiently every three seconds. It has a large stainless steel soleplate which pushes out wrinkles faster and smoothes your clothes quickly. Also, it has an eight foot cord that can swivel 360 degrees, and it is equipped with self-cleaning features. All these features make your ironing work easier and faster.
- Has a self-cleaning feature.
- Equipped with a large stainless steel soleplate.
- Heats up less than a minute.
- Low power consumption.
- The reservoir is too small.
Steam Iron Buyers guide questions:
1. What Is a Steam Iron?
Steam irons are modern ironing equipment that uses both steam and heat to iron clothes. It has certain mechanisms that produces steam while you iron your clothes. Because of this, the ironing process becomes faster, easier, and simpler.
2. How do you identify a steam iron?
You can identify a steam iron by looking at its soleplate. Steam irons have soleplates with holes for the steam to pass through. If you see a soleplate on an iron with holes, then you can be sure that it’s a steam iron.
3. What are the benefits of using Steam Iron?
There are obvious benefits of using the steam iron. Steam irons can both iron and steam your clothes efficiently. A modern steam iron can do the work of a dry iron and a garment steamer. You can even use your steam iron to vertically iron your clothes.
4. Is Steam Iron Good For Clothes?
Of course! The steam irons are good for your clothes. In some situations, the steam irons are far better than the dry iron. Using the steam irons with proper knowledge means that there is no damage to the fabric. Also, steam irons are versatile when it comes to ironing various types of clothes.
5. What are the differences between a steam iron and a dry iron?
There are many key differences between a dry iron and a steam iron. The steam iron can do both the dry iron and a steamer’s work. The dry iron only has a physical advantages over a steam iron. When it comes to ironing various types of clothes, the steam irons are superior hands down.
6. Can A Steam Iron Be Used Without Water?
Yes. Steam irons can be used without water. In that case, it will work as a dry iron without producing steam.
7. What is a soleplate in an ironing equipment?
The bottom part of the iron which directly makes contact with your cloth is a soleplate. Generally, soleplates can be made of various materials. The common materials used to manufacture soleplates are as follows.
- Cast Iron.
- Stainless Steel.
- Non-Stick Material.
All these materials have their own advantages and disadvantages, so you should check thoroughly before buying a steam iron for your home.
8. Which Steam Iron is best to buy?
If you want to buy a steam iron, lookout for the features it delivers rather than thinking about its aesthetic and visual appearance. Some steam iron brands incorporate new technologies which are not available in others. Watch out for that. Go for high performance steam irons that requires little to no maintenance. Also, consider the safety features such as automatic power shutdown and make sure that it is made of durable material.
9. What are the things to consider when buying a steam iron?
Most steam irons have self-cleaning features and an anti-calcium function to help you maintain the steam iron easily. Also, this function helps to prevent limescale from building up inside the iron and eventually clogging the steam vents. Look for these features as they are so important to consider when you are buying a steam iron…
10. What are the variable settings you should look for in a steam iron?
You should choose a steam iron which provides the option to change the temperature settings. The steam iron should allow you to generate variable amount of steam. This will invariably help you to iron various types of fabrics efficiently.
11. What is a spray feature in a steam iron?
The advantage of a spray feature is that it will moisten your clothes before ironing. This ensures a high-quality experience when you start ironing. Also, with this feature, you can iron your clothes easily and quickly.
12. Why is a soleplate important in a steam iron?
The soleplate in a steam iron is absolutely important. If it is made of ceramic or some other such material, there is a possibility that it will stick on the delicate fabric. On the other hand, if it is made of stainless steel material, it won’t stick and it is non sticky in nature. This ensures that you can iron various types of fabrics without any issue. So, you should always buy a nonstick soleplate steam iron.
13. Why is an automatic shutdown feature is so important in a steam iron?
The auto shutdown feature is very important when it comes to safety measures. These days, iron manufacturers include the auto shutdown feature to avoid any kind of accident. Not every brand has this, thus you have to only buy any ironing equipment which has this feature.
14. Why is steam iron important in your home?
It is obvious. The steam irons make the ironing job easier. It irons any type of clothes efficiently and smoothly.
15. What is a drip protection in a steam iron?
This feature prevents water from dripping through the soleplate and staining the fabrics, especially when the iron is in a low temperature.
With a variety of features and functions, it can get confusing when you want to pick a steam iron for your home. But the thumb rule, as discussed earlier, is to keep in mind your needs versus the many fancy features the company tries to offer to you.
And no matter how expensive or durable an iron is, it is also important to maintain some general rules for a longer shelf life of your iron. For example, clean your iron regularly but not too much either. To prevent dripping, don’t overfill the tank and make sure the heat setting and steam setting matches.
To prevent build ups on the soleplate, use clean drinking water, or distilled water if the water in your area is hard. We hope that this review would have helped you find a perfect ironing equipment to your home. Have any suggestions? You can leave a comment! Happy ironing!