You are planning to purchase an LED spotlight. You know that in recent times, spotlights are equipped with LED technology. But do you know what are the important things to be considered before purchasing an LED spotlight? If you don’t have any idea, no worries!
In this post, we are going to be discussing about the important things you need to consider before you plan to purchase an LED spotlight, why it is important to get some knowledge before purchasing an LED spotlight and so on.
Without any further ado, let’s get started!
Why it is important to know about LED spotlights before you buy one
As a technological advancement, spotlights are nowadays equipped with LED technology. With this improved and highly powerful spotlights, the things you need to consider before you purchase one are significantly different. If you are purchasing an LED spotlight for the first time or if you have experience in purchasing spotlights but don’t know what to look for when purchasing LED spotlights, you’ve landed in the right place.
In the upcoming section, we will look into what are the things you need to look for when purchasing an LED spotlight.
Important things to consider when purchasing LED spotlights
Size of the light and the bulb quality
The first thing to do when you are planning to purchase an LED spotlight is to determine the size of the light and the quality of the bulb you want. This is very critical because based on the light size and the bulb quality, the price will vary.
Hence, purchasing an LED spotlight with an exact size and bulb quality that fulfils your needs will actually save you money.
There are 3 major types of LED spotlights you will find in the market. They are MR, BR and PAR spotlights. If you see MR, BR and PAR in a spotlight, then you need to remember that those letters indicate the brightness of the bulb and the size of each one.
Specifications of MR, BR and PAR spotlight bulbs
- MR bulbs are generally used to manufacture a lower brightness spotlight. These bulbs are the smallest ones among all three spotlights. The bulbs are 2 inches in diameter. The typical size of the spotlights that use MR bulbs are 5 to 8 watts.
- PAR type bulbs are slightly bigger in size. They are usually come in 2.5 inches in diameter. These types of bulbs are used in small sized homes. The size of the LED spotlights that use these bulbs are 13 watts.
- Among all the bulb types that we have seen so far, the BR bulbs are larger in size. Which means they produce brighter and powerful light beams. So if you have to light a room with high ceiling, then you need to purchase a fixable LED spotlight that is manufactured with this bulb.
Colour of the light
When you want to purchase an LED spotlight, you will find that there are endless options available with regards to colour of the light. Before LED spotlights, you will only be able to get 2 or 3 colour options for the regular spotlights in the market.
But now the scenario is entirely different and the whole host of colour options make it difficult for you to choose the light colour that fulfils your needs. If this is the case, then you need to know that there are a couple of key things you need to understand before you spend your hard earned money.
- Colour temperature: It is ideal to pick a 3000K LED spotlight to get a neutral yellow colour tone. It is obvious that if you are planning to use LED spotlights in your home, then it will be purely based on personal preference. Yet, you can start with a 3000K LED spotlight to see how it goes. After this, if you don’t like the colour, you can definitely choose between 3500K, 4000K and 2700K. These measurements refer to light blue, dark blue and neutral white colour patterns. There is also a good news that these colour patterns are readily available with most LED spotlight manufacturers.
- CRI: this is the one thing that is a lot challenging for most people to understand. Because, when you just look at an LED spotlight, you wouldn’t be able to find out what it is. To put it in simple words, CRI is a measurement to notify customers that how clearly objects appear under the light. The score ranges from 0 to 100. If the score is higher, then objects will appear accurately. Hence, we recommend you to pick an LED spotlight that has 85 or more CRI score. When you look at the packaging or the product specification sheet, you’ll be able to find the exact CRI score of an LED spotlight. If you want enhanced perception, then go for an LED spotlight that has 90 or more CRI score.
Check also: Different Types of Spotlights – Overview & FAQ
There are many aspects you need to consider before purchasing an LED spotlight. We hope that our guide would have shined some light on the really important things you need to consider before going all in on buying a particular LED spotlight model. Keep your needs, budget and the type of light you want in mind before you spend your money.
Want to include your thoughts about this guide? Type away in the comments section below!
FAQs about LED spotlights
What type of light quality you can expect from an LED spotlight?
There is no doubt that an LED spotlight is superior when it comes to brightness and colour. But just like with any products, you may get a poor quality LED spotlight. Hence, it is important to do your research before you purchase an LED spotlight.
Is LED spotlights better than incandescent or halogen lights?
To be honest, it all depends on your needs. But the fact is most energy produced out of an incandescent light is converted to heat rather than light. So an LED spotlight is more energy efficient and lasts 50 to 60 times longer than an incandescent light. Because for these reasons, we always recommend LED spotlights over any other lighting equipment for home usage.
- Check also: 10 Best Spotlights Review For Long distance
She is a content writer & editor for more than 12 years. She usually writes about technology news, country news, arts & science, travel & automobiles. She used to test the product and write reviews for popular magazines.